Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mumbai terror attacks: Faces of tragedy

Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:23 PM (New York, Bangalore, Mumbai)

For the families of nearly 200 people who lost their lives in the Mumbai terror attacks, the loss is just unimaginable to their friends and family.

One of the martyrs in Mumbai's terror attacks was Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, the only son of his parents. The entire city of Bangalore turned up to mourn at his funeral, as his body wrapped in the tricolour was taken to his house.

His seniors spoke of his heroism.

"In this hotel, the Taj heritage, our Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan died while saving our havaldar who was injured. The terrorist opened fire and Unnikrishnan was separated from the rest of the NSG commandoes team. He died while fulfilling his duty," said J K Dutt, Director General, NSG.



Major Unnikrishnan's father was stoic while recounting the last time he spoke to his son.

"On the night of November 26 he called me and he told me to watch the television, where I saw all these things," said K Unnikrishnan, Sandeep's father.

A braveheart and a gutsy commando, Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan upheld the finest traditions of the Indian Army where country came first, countrymen next and his own life on last priority.

Corresponding to the death of a brave soldier is again, the case of Moshe. He is a little boy who turns two, without his mother or father, who were killed in the terror attacks.

Newly married, Moshe's parents, the Holtzbergs, moved from Brooklyn in 2003 to manage the Mumbai chapter of the Chabad, an open house for Jews, on their mission to spread Judaism to Jews around the globe.

Across the world in New York, members of the Chabad-Lubavitch ultra-orthodox Jewish community are in mourning over the death of Moshe's parents.

In the Holtzbergs' home in the United States, prayer services were held in their memory, and for their young son Moshe, who was rescued by the nanny and has been united with his grandparents .

"Today, he became an orphan without a dad and mom to lovingly embrace him and celebrate with him," said Rabbi Yehuda Krinsky, chairman
Chabad's Education and Social Services arm.


For the past few days, members of the Chabad headquarters in New York had been glued to the television and the internet trying to separate fact from rumor. Now, they are united in grief, and a promise top provide a loving and caring environment for young Moshe, who lost his parents just days before his second birthday.

After Major Unnikrishnan and Moshe, is Times of India journalist Sabina Sehgal Saikia, who died in the Mumbai attacks.

Saikia was married to former journalist Shantanu Saika. She began her career as a political correspondent with the Times of India and went on to become the first editor of the successful Delhi Times for several years, before becoming the paper's popular restaurant reviewer and compiler of its bestselling food guide. A connoisseur and student of Hindustani classical music, Saikia was a friend to many musicians.

" She will be remembered for the great contribution she brought to a whole generation of young journalists with her twin committments to Indian classical music and to non-communal politics in this country. She was a larger-than-life person. She was a big person physically, and even her person exuded this extreme passion for life, for friends, for food, for music, for dance and for art. She lived many lives and she had different personas. But she transcended them with great agility and with great quick wittedness, with great felicity of information and imagination. She was an immensely talented woman. I used to tell her on her face that she was a combination of Annapurni and Durga together in a modern avatar," said S Kalidas, arts writer.

Thus three diverse lives had common binding threads - tragedy and loss.

Mumbai attack - Italian cook hailed as hero

An Italian cook is being praised for bringing milk to his 6-month-old daughter who was trapped inside one of the Mumbai hotels that came under attack.

Emanuele Lattanzi, a chef in the luxury Oberoi hotel, joined soldiers battling militants in the building to find his wife and daughter.

All major Italian dailies splashed front-page photos on Saturday of Lattanzi carrying 6-month-old Clarice from the hotel on Friday.

Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini praised him for his "courageous act" and televisions repeatedly interviewed the shy and exhausted-looking cook.

Lattanzi told RAI state TV that he was working in the kitchen on Wednesday night when gunmen entered the Oberoi, one of 10 sites attacked across Mumbai. The restaurant staff and customers managed to escape through an emergency exit, but the chef soon realised his wife and daughter had been left behind because they were asleep in their room.

"I found myself outside the Oberoi and I immediately called my wife, who was still inside," Lattanzi said. "They wouldn't let me in, there was nothing I could do."

As the siege of the hotel continued for two days, Lattanzi received frantic text messages from his wife, who said she had no more milk to feed the child, and the cook pleaded to be let in with some powdered milk.

"They let me in (Friday) morning, covered by these soldiers," Lattanzi told RAI. "They escorted me to the door of the child's room."

Later in the day authorities said they had killed the last two gunmen in the Oberoi and Lattanzi walked out carrying the infant, still wearing the white chef's uniform he had on when the attack began.

Mumbai attack - Major Sandeep dies as a national hero

Two NSG personnel, including an officer, were killed and six other commandos injured during operations against terrorists in Mumbai, the first casualties suffered by the elite force during the siege.

Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, Bihar RegimentMajor Sandeep Unnikrishnan, 31, was killed while engaging terrorists at the Taj hotel. An officer of the Bihar Regiment, he was commissioned in the Indian Army in June 1999.

Major Sandeep was with the 51 Special Action Group of the force and was with the NSG on deputation. He has been with the Black Cat commando force for the last two years. The officer had joined the NSG on deputation in January 2007 after having served two tenures with his battalion in counter insurgency and counter terrorism roles.

The officer hails from Bangalore where his father works for the Indian Space Research Organisation. Remembered for being high on principles, he was strictly averse to hypocrisy, sycophancy, apathy and lack of compassion.

In spite of being such an asset to the national security, the modest Unni always felt that his job was a regular one. But what he didn’t know was the fact that this so called ‘regular’ job will end up making him a national hero.

Soaked in blood and pierced with bullets, Unikrishnan’s body was found around 1.30 pm on the third floor of the hotel. “We lost contact with him around noon which means he fought alone before the terrorists killed him,” an NSG official told.

The second casualty was of Gajender Singh, another NSG commando, who died fighting terrorists in Nariman House. He was one of the members of the two platoons which were air dropped around the Nariman House area. His body was flown to Delhi on Friday night from where it will be taken to Dehradun.

Six other commandos were also injured during the encounters with terrorists at Taj hotel, Oberoi-Trident and Nariman House.